Monday, July 19, 2010

My Dilemma...is it really mine???

Question:" Is it our responsibility to take care of our elders as they grow old?" I received a very demanding text message from the wife of my Uncle two days ago, asking me to finance his hospitalization. I read it over and over again coz i might read it the wrong way but the message is very clear. I wanted to help the best way  i could but not to the extent that I am obligated. We were raised by my parents to live independently so that we can stand in our own. she was so mean as if I am really responsible for it. My "Tiyo Manoy" as we fondly calls him is the older brother of my Mother. Whenever he went home here in Ormoc, he stayed at our house even before my mom was still alive. He got married when he was 52, the same year that i was married too. He saw his lady love when he was in Cebu at my Aunts place. Among the nieces and nephews I am the oldest that's why i am the most responsible ( as she thought ). But I have also responsibilities and needs to attend to. If they wanted support, i extend some aid. I guess his wife cannot asked helped with his siblings because just recently my two aunties were hospitalized because of high - blood pressures and these are all in serious conditions. My Tiyo Moloy is diagnosed with "diabetes" and he has to take medicines everyday plus the fact that he got a big family to take care of. On my part, I am in the state of financial crisis and I am taking it slowly so that i wont feel depressed or stressed. My only sister, who is in Cebu right now needs my help badly but I cannot extend my helping hand even if I wanted to. I would like to stress out that, I will help as much as I can but don't demand me of something that I am not capable of doing and that i am not responsible also. Maybe at this moment, the wife of my uncle is angry with me and the entire family because she might feel helpless but i hope she understand that it is a big tasks. In time that i am already capable of helping them, of course I will and I would.

No comments: